Thursday, November 5, 2009

rad habits

There has been much clamor over my steadfast refusal to divulge which of the 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learning is the easiest, and which is the hardest. And now, finally, and with the same assortment of fear, nostalgia, upset stomach, and glee I'm sure the Berlin Wall must have felt as it was crumbling: the reveal.

Hardest Habit
Obviously I'm a stern fellow and not one to take to frivolities. But playing isn't difficult, I've noticed even children seem to have at least a tenuous grasp on the concept. So the hardest habit can't be "play". This leaves viewing problems as challenges. In my day to day labeling, when I see a problem, I label it as such. That doesn't mean I won't crush it. But I suppose I have a hard time applying positives (like the ol' "it's a challenge not a problem" trope) to problems. Also, technology...I never touch the stuff.

Easiest Habit
I'm sure it's no secret how easy everything comes to the properly stached. So it's unbearably difficult to pick the easiest habit. So many of the habits vie for the title...Initially I thought "create a learning toolbox" would be the winner, particularly because I'm a renowned craftsman and have built toolboxes to give as Christmas gifts for many years. To illustrate their fine quality: I give these toolboxes to the same people every year, and rather than tire of the monotony and supposed uselessness of multiple toolboxes piling up in attics and garages, they just offer the strained smiles and stilted speech patterns of the sincerely thankful and highly satisfied. "Thank you so very much for the handsome toolbox," they say, even if they say nothing or something totally different. You can just tell. Then I decided that no one really knows what "create your own learning toolbox" means, and so instead the easiest habit must be "have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner".

To illustrate my confidence and why it's well-founded: I've never web-logged before starting this web-log, and already I have the fundamentals of posting mastered. One would think a beginning logger might make some mistakes, like wondering off mid-sentence for a scotch and donut break and accidentally clicking publish before finishing the sentence. (Say, I think I've given myself a craving.) One important thing, before I go, assuming I can maintain my concentration: Never forget when it comes to learni

No comments:

Post a Comment